We love playing at Shay Park in Saratoga Springs, or the train park, as my kids call it. The playground is shaped like a train and has a lot of fun places to play. There is now a train that you can ride at this park making it officially train central. You will want to check out the train rides at Shay Park.
Volunteers helped lay the track around the park, and the Utah Live Steamers bring their trains out on the first and third Saturdays from Memorial Day to September for everyone to ride. The rides are free, although they ask for donations. We highly encourage a few dollars of donation to help them maintain their trains and track. Here is the schedule for 2022:
- May 28
- June 4
- June 18
- July 2
- July 16
- August 6
- August 20
- September 3
- Times will vary from 10am-1pm and 9am-noon. Please check their Facebook page on the day of the event to check for time changes or cancelations due to weather.
The train ride makes a big loop around the field, and then passes the park. So if you are playing at the park, you can watch the train drive by. The train then goes under the small bridge and ends back at the starting point. The ride isn’t super long, but the kids don’t care. They love the chance to take a ride on the train.
The train rides at Shay Park are fun. There was a line because the small train isn’t very big, so be prepared to wait. Luckily the park is nearby for a distraction.
If you have a train lover, you will want to take advantage of the free train rides at Shay Park. The Utah Live Steamers are still adding to their track, and hope to add another small section soon. You can follow them on Facebook for updates on the track, and for current info on the dates and times they will be driving their trains.
Tips for Families
- Go early. The line got longer and longer as the day went on.
- Be prepared to wait. Only about 10 people can ride the train, so it takes a bit to get everyone through the line.
- Children that are 30″ and shorter are not allowed on the train.
- Bring a few dollars for donations. Remember these are volunteers who love what they do, but they have to maintain their trains and the track.
- Wear sunscreen. There isn’t shade at this park because it is so new, so you will be waiting in the sun.