Today we took a pretty sweet FREE train ride in South Weber. The rides are free at Canyon Meadows park at the mouth of Weber Canyon on the third Saturday of every month from March-October (weather permitting) by the South Weber Model Railroad Club.
The train is really fun, and there are a lot of friendly people to help you onboard. Adults and children are both welcome, and there are two trains running, so we didn’t have to wait for more than about five minutes.
The trains go around the park in a large circle, which is currently about a half mile with expansions planned for the future. Check out the video below! We can’t wait to go back in 2022 to see all of the expansions since we last visited.
Donations to the club are accepted, though not required. We were more than happy to put a little cash in the jar, so take a little something for the engineers. They built the entire track and are planning big expansions including tunnels, bridges, and a longer ride all from donations. We love that they have set up this train track to let others ride for FREE because they love sharing their passion about trains with everyone.
One perk to this adventure is that there is a small park for the kids right next to the depot. Our boys played for a little while after the train ride, so plan on taking a little extra time for the playground. The playground is nice and clean, and there is one section that looks like a pirate ship! There is a pavilion, bathrooms, and a baseball diamond, too.
Remember to mark your calendars, or this adventure can pass you by (The third Saturday of every month from 11-3) or follow South Weber Railroad on Facebook for updates on where they will be running their trains.
From the 1-84, take exit 85 (Uintah/South Weber) and head South onto 475 E. Turn east (left) onto Petersen Parkway. Look for the sign below as a clue. Follow the road until you see the park on the south (right) side of the road. You really can’t miss it!
- Bring your camera! You’ll want to document those happy kids on the train!
- This would be a beautiful place to have a picnic lunch, ride the train, and play on the playground. So come prepared with a lunch or snacks if you want to spend a little time.
- If you are able, bring a small donation for these train rides.
- There is a sign that says no bikes, but you could bring your stroller to walk around the park.
- If you are closer to Utah County, check out the Train Rides at Shay Park. Twice a month and a train playground to play on, too!