We LOVE visiting national parks. There are so many amazing places to visit throughout the nation, and Utah is filled with National Parks and Monuments. We think visiting a national park is the perfect family adventure. The National Parks have some great programs for kids, especially their Junior Ranger program. And most National Parks encourage families to explore outside which is a wonderful way to build family relationships and have fun!
We always get excited when we see the list of entrance fee FREE days. Every year the National Parks service offers a bunch of free days throughout the year. This discount day also includes National Monuments and other sites run by the NPS. That means there are a lot of amazing places to visit for FREE!
Here are the National Parks Free Days in 2017.
- January 16: Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
- February: President’s Day
- April 15-16: Opening weekend of National Parks week
- April 22-23: Closing weekend of National Parks week
- August 25: National Park Service Birthday
- September 30: National Public Lands Day
- November 11-12: Veteran’s Day Weekend
And if you are lucky enough to have a 4th grader, you can get a National Parks Pass for FREE that is good the entire year! Read all the details on our post about using our Every Kid in a Park pass last year.
So start planning your trips now and visit one of our nation’s National Parks. We have posts sharing what to do in lots of different National Parks, as well as the best Kid Hikes! Here’s where we’ve been:
- Arches National Park
- Bryce Canyon National Park
- Canyon lands National Park: Island in the Sky
- Canyonlands National Park: Needles
- Capitol Reef National Park
- Dinosaur National Monument
- Golden Spike National Historic Site
- Natural Bridges National Monument
- Zion National Park
- Aztec Ruins National Monument
- Carlsbad Caverns National Park
- Chaco Culture National Historic Site
- White Sands National Monument